Wednesday, January 2, 2013

O patria mia – Aïda



Radamès is coming here!          
What does he want to tell me?  I’m trembling!
Ah! If you’re coming to bring me, o cruel man,
The final farewell,
The deep whirlpools of the Nile
Will give me a grave and maybe peace,          
and maybe peace and oblivion.

Oh my country, I will never see you again!
Nevermore! Nevermore will I see you!
O blue skies, o sweet native breezes
Where my morning shone peacefully,

O green hills, o fragrant shores,
Oh my country, I will never see you again!
Nevermore! Nevermore will I see you!
O cool valleys, o this blessed refuge
That once gave me a promise of love,

Now that the dream of love has disappeared,
O my country, I will never see you again.         
O my country, I will never see you again.

Leyla Gencer in Verdi's Aida.

Verona, 1963.

No comments:

Post a Comment