Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Mad Scene – Lucia di Lammermoor

The sweet sound of his voice struck me!
Ah, that voice it is here down in my heart!
Edgardo! I surrender to you. Edgardo! Ah! my Edgardo! Yes, I surrender!
I have escaped from your enemies.
A cold wind blows through my chest!
Shaking  every fiber!
My foot falters!
Let’s sit down near the fountain awhile! Yes, let’s sit down near the fountain.
Alas, the terrifying ghost rises and separates us!
Let’s take shelter here, Edgardo, at the foot of the altar.
It is covered with roses!

A heavenly harmony, tell me, don’t you hear it?
Ah, the sound of the wedding song!
They’re preparing the ritual for us! Oh, I’m so happy!
Oh the joy that one feels, and can’t explain!
The incense is burning!
The sacred torches are blazing, shining all around!
Here is the minister!
Give me your right hand!
Oh glad day!
At last I am yours, at last you are mine,
A god is giving you to me.
Every wonderful pleasure
I want to share with you
A laugh from merciful heaven,
Life will be for us.

Katia Ricciarelli in the epic mad scene from Donizetti's Lucia di Lammermoor. 
Bregenz, 1982. Conductor: Lamberto Gardelli. 

No comments:

Post a Comment