Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Ah! lo vedi – Cavalleria Rusticana


Turiddu
Ah! you see,
What did you say...? 


Santuzza
What you wanted, and it was fine.



Turiddu
Ah! God! 


Santuzza
My heart is breaking! 


Turiddu
No! 


Santuzza
Turiddu, listen! 


Turiddu
No! 


Santuzza
Be still.
To leave me -
Is that what you want? 


Turiddu
Why are you following me,
Why are you spying on me
On the edges
Of the churchyard? 


Santuzza
Your Santuzza
Is crying and begging you;
To banish her
Is that what you want? 


Turiddu
Go away, I say
Go, don’t bore me,
Your repentance is worthless
After your offense! 


Santuzza
Watch yourself! 


Turiddu
I don’t care if you’re angry!


Santuzza
Have a miserable Easter, liar!


Fiorenza Cossotto and Placido Domingo in the second half of the great duet from Mascagni's Cavalleria Rusticana.
Tokyo, 1976. 

No comments:

Post a Comment